Master Password •••| — secure your online identity and privacy
TL;DR – The genius of this app is that your passwords are stored nowhere and can never be lost.
Even losing your phone and Internet connectivity, all that's needed to get your passwords back is your full name and master password.
You have too many online accounts and too few safe passwords to secure them all individually.
• Memorize all your passwords: there's too many.
• Save them in an app: You could lose everything (e.g., your device breaks or is lost).
• Save them in the cloud: You're trusting a company that can be mismanaged, have an agenda, sell or surrender your information, or get hacked.
Humans also aren't creative enough to think of a unique and secure password for each site they want an account on.
⚠ Remember LinkedIn, Last.FM and eHarmony?
Hackers broke in and stole password hashes for *millions* of accounts. YOURS were probably included! If you had used Master Password, you'd have had nothing to worry about: its passwords have such a high entropy that brute-forcing them from stolen password hash databases is infeasible.
☞ You need an application that:
‣ Creates secure passwords for ANY purpose, so you don't have to think of them yourself.
‣ Doesn't SEND your passwords anywhere, so nobody else can lose or betray your identity for you.
‣ Doesn't STORE your passwords anywhere, so they can't be stolen or found by someone else.
‣ Doesn't make you dependent on Internet access, or having *your* device around.
‣ Works even after you somehow lose *everything* you have, so you needn't worry about keeping safe backups.
☛ Master Password may seem like magic at first:
Your passwords aren't kept anywhere at all, and still all your devices can generate them for you on-demand. Nothing kept means nothing to lose. Your accounts are also adequately protected with strong, exclusive passwords.
Using Master Password, you can forget all your passwords and remember only a single new and secure password that the application will use to generate any password you might need.
☞ Your passwords are safe with Master Password. Why?
• Your generated passwords are strong: Hackers cannot reverse them from a hacked site's password hashes.
• Your generated passwords are never stored anywhere: Nothing stored, nothing to lose.
• You CAN save your own custom passwords: Saved passwords lack some of the awesome features, but they are AES-encrypted.
• Your master password is protected: Key derivation and salts make sure hackers can't guess it.
• Master Password is OPEN: Experts can and have looked over its algorithm and code. We want to EARN your trust!
At Lyndir, we believe that transparency and openness is a key to building trust with your customers.
Some wonder whether using iCloud sends your passwords to Apple.
It most certainly does NOT! As stated, your passwords are never sent anywhere. iCloud (optional) makes sure that all your other devices (and soon, Mac) know about the sites you've added. Each device can then *generate* the password on-demand. That exactly is the wonder which makes Master Password special. Optionally, a custom password can be saved and synced via iCloud. These are always AES-encrypted and are only visible to you.
To learn more:
EMAIL ME for any questions or inquiries, I usually respond within the hour:
‣ A Mac version is under development. This will be a free download from the Mac App Store.
‣ A Java/CLI version is already available from the development website.
‣ A Windows & cross-platform UI are planned.
• Fixed a critical issue that caused the app to not open anymore on iOS 5.
• Fixed a few potential crashes.
• Fixed migration of a site's configured user name.
Share with Others
- Last changed:
- Sep 26, 2012
- Average Rating:
- 3.50 (9)
- 10.6 MB